Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Salute the homeland

How long did it take me to realize
home, is relative, with all the sense of the word

a relative's kiss on your tear-soaked cheeks
is just a reminder of how home was, is, constantly a softness

they told me softness is not weakness
yet I melt like butter on the sight of a pack of hummus

in a cold remote supermarket
in a fridge that labels the name incorrectly

everything becomes relative when you are alone
like anger that lands slowly in my heart

when I hear the language I use twisted,
 in the name of flowering sister languages

like knowing that time changes
no matter how hard I close my fingers

it is all relative, this longing, the smell of old Za'tar
packed away, making me salute the homeland every time it whiffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment